• (925) 750-7795
  • 5890 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 105,
    Pleasanton, CA 94588

If something has happened to a loved one, how can you step in and care for their children?

It can be daunting to step forward and care for a loved one’s children after they pass away and our firm is very aware of the big responsibility that you are taking on. Let us help you navigate the complex legal process to being named guardian of the person or estate for the children you have agreed to protect.

First, it’s important to know that even if your loved one had a will that designated you the guardian of their children, you must still be appointed by the court. We can help you move through this process and make sure that it goes as smoothly as possible. This is not a time when you or the children need more stress and complication, and we always want to make this time a little easier for you and them by shepherding you through every step. Let us help you so that you can concentrate on helping them.

And, if your loved one did not leave a will or guardianship document, we can help you to get appointed the guardian for their children.

If I have children, how can I protect them if something happens to me?

If you have children under the age of 18, let us help you prepare a comprehensive estate plan in which you will outline your wishes as to who should be guardian of the person (who your children will live with) and guardian of the property (who should control their finances until they are legal adults). Although the California courts must make the actual guardian appointment, making your preference clear in an estate plan shows the court who you want to care for your children.

And, you can protect your estate for your children, by creating a revocable trust to safeguard your property until they are old enough to inherit. You can select someone you trust to make sure that their needs are covered until they are old enough to receive an inheritance. You can even give directions about what the trust can and cannot pay for, in order to pay for school and college.
Set up a consultation with us to find out more about the guardianship process. Or, set up an estate planning consultation to make sure that your children are protected.